logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Log ind or Registrering.

Notifikation

Icon
Error

upamfva
#1 Skrevet : 6. juli 2021 06:00:25(UTC)
upamfva

Rang: Advanced Member

Gruppe: Registered
Sted: upamfva

Face Masks in the New COVID-19 Normal: Materials

1. Introduction
Emerging and reemerging infections have emerged as a threat to human health in recent decades [1]. Given how interconnected the world is today, a pathogen capable of human-to-human transmission can spark an outbreak far from where it originated. The virus causing the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, for example, emerged in the Middle East but caused an outbreak in Korea. The world is in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, which is caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Lockdowns and travel restrictions imposed to halt the spread of COVID-19 have led to devastating economic repercussions. The control of an infectious disease is based on knowledge of its mode of transmission. The recent COVID-19 pandemic is caused by the novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, which is transmitted largely by the respiratory route (vide infra) [2, 3].To get more news about disposable mask wholesale, you can visit tnkme.com official website.

The best nonpharmaceutical interventions against disease spread via the respiratory route are broadly termed social or safe distancing measures, i.e., reducing close contact between individuals [4, 5]. Where safe distancing is not possible, personal protective equipment (PPE) is the accepted mode of self-protection. Masks and respirators are arguably the most important piece of PPE. They are a physical barrier to respiratory droplets that may enter through the nose and mouth and to the expulsion of mucosalivary droplets from infected individuals [6, 7]. Their role may be particularly important in COVID-19, where infected individuals may be shedding virus while asymptomatic or presymptomatic [8–10].

There are many different types of face masks and respirators offering different levels of protection to users [11–15]. Generally, masks do not fit tightly while respirators do. Masks and respirators may be reusable or disposable. Reusable ones include industrial-use half or full facepiece respirators with cartridge filters attached and homemade or commercial cloth masks; disposable ones include surgical masks, N95 respirators, and KN95 respirators. They all serve the general purpose of providing some form of protection against contaminants in the air, ranging from pollen to chemical fumes to pathogens. The filtering capacity, and hence the level of protection against pollutants and pathogens, depends on the materials used and the engineering design [11–15]. Contaminants in the air differ vastly in size (Figure 1). SARS-CoV-2 has a size ranging from 60 to 140 nm [16], smaller than bacteria, dust, and pollen. Therefore, masks and respirators made of materials with larger pore sizes, such as cotton and synthetic fabric, will not be able to effectively filter these viruses or tiny virus-laden droplets, as compared with those made of materials with much smaller pore sizes. Likewise, masks and respirators made of or coated with water-resistant materials are more effective against large virus-laden respiratory droplets and fluid spills. In addition to filtering capacity, factors such as user comfort and breathability also vary across different models. For instance, although the tight-fitting N95 respirator has filtering capacity superior to surgical masks, they have lower breathability and may cause discomfort after hours of wearing.
Mask-wearing can be effective in the containment of communicable diseases [17, 18] and has thus become a new normal in many societies in the COVID-19 pandemic. The surge in demand for surgical masks and respirators has led to a global shortage of supply and raw materials. As a result, many people have resorted to making their own masks, recycling used masks, or settling for masks offering less protection than actually needed. Researchers and industry players have therefore been working hard to address the issue of shortage, as well as to enhance the protection afforded by existing mask models. These efforts include (i) sourcing and engineering alternative materials with sufficient filtering capacity, (ii) engineering the design of masks and respirators for better protection, breathability, and user comfort, (iii) developing and engineering multifunctional masks and materials with hydrophobic, antimicrobial, self-disinfecting, and even sensing properties, and (iv) exploring new technologies for efficient production and customization of masks, e.g., 3D printing [19].

Attempts to enhance the mask will pivot on understanding the basics of mask technology. The fundamental questions, to our mind, are as follows: (i) how do masks (and the mask materials) protect us from pathogens; (ii) what are the existing models and materials of mask available in the market; (iii) how do they perform and how is their performance benchmarked against others; (iv) what are their limitations; (v) how can their performance be improved; (vi) what are some new features that can be incorporated into existing materials and models? This review seeks to address the above questions.
A respiratory pathogen may be transmitted via three routes—contact, droplet, and airborne spread [20]. Contact transmission may be direct (i.e., transfer of virus via contaminated hands) or indirect (i.e., via fomites) [20]. Fomites are objects or materials that may carry infection, and spread by fomites means spread by touch. Viruses do survive for some time on inanimate objects, although the viral load declines dramatically [21]. If we touch a contaminated surface and then touch our eyes or nose, we may inoculate the virus into our mucosal surfaces. The role of touch in the spread of a respiratory virus is best exemplified by studies of the Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) [22, 23]. The spread of SARS-CoV-2 via fomites has been elegantly demonstrated by real-world contact tracing, aided by closed-circuit cameras [24].

Droplet spread and airborne spread are different modes of transmission of the virus through the air. Viruses released when an infected person coughs, sneezes, sings, talks, or merely exhales may be found in particles of varying sizes [17]. Generally, particles larger than 5 μm were thought to fall to the ground within 1 metre. More recently, however, the “gas cloud” hypothesis has been proposed [25]. Coughing, sneezing, or even exhaling produces mucosalivary droplets that exist as part of a cloud that “carries within it clusters of droplets with a continuum of droplet sizes” [25]. In combination with environmental factors, the “cloud” may be propelled up to 7–8 m. Wind speed, in particular, has been shown to play a role in determining the distance travelled by these particles [26].
Brugere som besøger dette emne nu:
Hop til Forum  
Du kan ikke skrive nye indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke svare på indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke slette dine indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke ændre dine indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke lave afstemninger i dette forum.
Du kan ikke stemme i dette forum.