logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Log ind or Registrering.

Notifikation

Icon
Error

upamfva
#1 Skrevet : 5. august 2021 03:37:33(UTC)
upamfva

Rang: Advanced Member

Gruppe: Registered
Sted: upamfva

Death toll from China floods jumps to more than 300

Zhengzhou, the capital of Henan province and the epicentre of the record flooding, was hardest-hit with 292 people dead and 47 missing, according to a provincial government press briefing, as residents were trapped in subway trains, underground car parks, and tunnels.To get more news about Battle against floods, you can visit shine news official website.

Images of passengers inundated by shoulder-height water went viral on Chinese social media on Line 5 of the city subway where 14 people died, while dozens of cars in a tunnel were tossed aside by the deluge, many with passengers still inside.

"Thirty-nine people were found dead in underground carparks," Zhengzhou's mayor Hou Hong told reporters while updating the toll, adding that six died in a car tunnel.Heavy downpours that began July 17 affected almost 13 million people, damaged nearly 9,000 homes, and caused economic losses in Henan estimated at 53 billion yuan ($8.2 billion).

A large floral tribute at the subway was sealed off last week by authorities, a sign of the government's increasing sensitivity to public criticism of its handling of the disaster.

Foreign journalists covering the floods have been harassed online and on the ground, part of growing crackdowns on any negative portrayal of China.

Reporters from AFP were forced to delete footage by hostile residents and surrounded by dozens of men while reporting on a submerged traffic tunnel in Zhengzhou.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian last week singled out the BBC, labelling it a "Fake News Broadcasting Company" that has "attacked and smeared China, seriously deviating from journalistic standards."Flash floods in central China’s Henan province this month have spurred a revamp of the Communist party’s emergency response plans as it prepares for the intensifying threat of extreme weather.

Grieving family members and online commentators have criticised local authorities in Zhengzhou, Henan’s capital, for failing to prevent water from blocking tunnels and filling up subway cars. The number of confirmed deaths hit 99 on Thursday.

Authorities have labelled the downpour a “once per 5,000 years” event, after almost eight months’ worth of rain lashed Zhengzhou on July 20. But the natural disaster was worsened by “a systemic human disaster”, one Zhengzhou-based academic wrote on social media.“Natural disaster was the external trigger but the man-made disaster was the internal factor,” they wrote. “As such, we must legally investigate Zhengzhou city’s senior politicians for the crime of dereliction of duty.”

China must prepare for more extreme weather
China’s one-party state prides itself on leading swift and competent rescue operations following natural disasters, as well as strict disciplinary measures for officials deemed responsible for lapses in preventing damage.

Beijing has celebrated its success in largely eradicating coronavirus, despite early missteps in its response to the outbreak. Xi Jinping, China’s president, has pointed to mass testing, strict lockdowns and rapid contact tracing as the “notable advantages” of party leadership and the country’s political system.
Brugere som besøger dette emne nu:
Hop til Forum  
Du kan ikke skrive nye indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke svare på indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke slette dine indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke ændre dine indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke lave afstemninger i dette forum.
Du kan ikke stemme i dette forum.