logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Log ind or Registrering.

Notifikation

Icon
Error

panxing18
#1 Skrevet : 18. juni 2019 04:02:42(UTC)
panxing18

Rang: Advanced Member

Gruppe: Registered
Sted: usa

s‘ answer to all the questions about whether they’d effectively tank it for the 2018 season.Whether they’d give up all hope of winning now in exchange for getting high draft picks and young talent for finishing well down in the standings and Dennis Eckersley Jersey , possibly, winning big in the future.Teams such as the Baltimore Orioles, Kansas City Royals, Chicago White Sox and Miami Marlins made no real effort to go after big-ticket free agents — and, in fact, the Marlins shed the stars they already had in Giancarlo Stanton, Christian Yelich and Marcell Ozuna.Article continues below ...But while the Padres were coming off seven consecutive losing seasons, including two with 90-plus losses in 2016 and 2017, they sought to do it a different way.Sure, they were intent on stockpiling younger players and promoting prospects, but also by signing established first baseman Eric Hosmer away from the Kansas City Royals for $144 million over eight years. The idea was to build around an established hitter and proven clubhouse leader who could help promote winning now as well as winning later.But as the Padres go into the fourth and final game of their weekend series between last-place teams against the Cincinnati Reds on Sunday at Great American Ball Park, they’re in the same place they were before they signed Hosmer.Fifth and last in the National League West.On Sunday, San Diego starts right-hander Jacob Nix (2-3, 4.85 ERA) against Reds right-hander Tyler Mahle (7-9, 4.95), who makes his first start since being removed from the rotation after a 10-4 loss to the Washington Nationals on Aug. 2, when he gave up six runs in 1 2/3 innings.The Reds won for the second day in a row Saturday, taking a 7-2 decision in a game moved up an hour by a bad weather forecast but cut short by rain in the seventh inning. Joey Votto hit the Reds’ second grand slam in as many days — Scott Schebler hit one during Friday’s 12-6 victory — and Matt Harvey (7-8) struck out 10 while limiting the Padres to two runs and four hits in six innings.“The guys did a great job of putting up a lot of runs, and the stuff (his pitches) was working pretty good,” Harvey said. “It was one of those days where everything was coming out pretty good, I could tell in the bullpen. … I was able to pretty much settle down and let the pitches work.”The Reds have a club-record 11 grand slams this season. But the Hosmer signing hasn’t been a slam-dunk success for the Padres.They’re already out $25 million for signing Hosmer — a $5 million signing bonus and $20 million salary for 2018 — and they’re on the hook for $20 million more in each of the next four seasons, or before Hosmer could exercise a buyout clause after five seasons.Hosmer is hitting .252, well below the .318 he hit last season for Kansas City. He has 15 home runs after hitting 25 in each of the last two seasons. And he has only 61 RBIs in 547 at-bats Santiago Casilla Jersey , well down from the 97 he averaged for the last three seasons.With only 18 games remaining, he doesn’t have much time to pull up his numbers before the offseason arrives — even though he is 4-for-11 with two home runs and five RBIs in the series.“It’s been tough,” Hosmer told the San Diego Union-Tribune last month. “I just want to help the team win any way I can. I feel like if I’m doing my job and driving in runs, that gives us a really good chance to win ballgames. There is no excuse for it (his season to date). There’s nothing different about what’s happening. I just have to do a better job of getting it done.”The Reds can relate to the Hosmer contract situation, in multiple ways.After they went 90-72 and made the playoffs in 2013, they signed staff ace Homer Bailey to a six-year, $105 million contract. But he has experienced almost nothing but injuries and aggravation since, winning only 18 games in the last five seasons. He has been so bad this season, with a 1-14 record and 6.09 ERA, he’s now out of the rotation.And franchise icon Votto turns 35 on Monday, yet the All-Star first baseman is only one season past the halfway point of a 12-year, $251.5 million contract that he signed in April 2012. The Reds went 97-65 that year, the first of successive 90-win seasons. Since 2013, though, they haven’t broken 76 victories even as Votto has produced. He has had five .300 seasons since signing the deal.Perhaps the lesson in all this is that even when a franchise tries to spend money to win, and not take the cheaper and perhaps easier road of a total rebuild with prospects, there’s no guarantee it will succeed.Mahle won his only start against the Padres, allowing five hits in five shutouts innings of a 7-2 victory at San Diego on June 1.Nix will make his sixth career start and has never faced Cincinnati. Yay?"There was a time when Derek Holland was one of the better pitchers in all of baseball. Back in 2013, he fired an anagramic 213.0 IP of 120 ERA+ ball, an effort that was valued at 4.3 fWAR and 3.2 bWAR. That was part of a four year stretch that saw him pitch to a 112 combined ERA+ across 623.1 IP from 2011-2014, his 3.83 ERA in that time helping to anchor what was then a rather formidable Texas Rangers staff. The lefty’s fastball was good, but never overbearing at 93-95 mph. His slider was good, his other off-speed pitches were merely average Mark McGwire Jersey , but he had something going for him that was nearly impossible for any other pitcher in baseball to replicate.He had a gloriously awful mustache. I mean, just look at that dirt squirrel.Fabulous. Just fabulous.2014, though, is now a long time ago. You’ll think that even more when you wake up feeling terrible in 2019 tomorrow.From 2015-2017, Holland’s career cratered. Between Texas and the Chicago White Sox, he pitched to just a 5.50 ERA across 301 injury plagued innings. His fastball velocity lost 2 full mph, and that (in part) led to his -24.3 wFB in 2017 with Chicago ranking as the third worst in all MLB among pitchers who threw at least 100 innings. So, while the idea that ‘your favorite team is interested in Derek Holland’ was a thing for a time, by the end of 2017 that was most certainly no longer one.2018, though, brought a bit of a renaissance for Holland. Pitching in the friendly confines of AT&T Park with the San Francisco Giants, Holland regained his form in many ways, making 30 starts, tossing 171.1 IP, and posting an impressive 3.57 ERA (alongside an equally serviceable 3.87 FIP). His 2.0 fWAR/2.1 bWAR season sent him into free agency once again as a semi-sought-after quantity, and the now 32 year old appears to be on the radar of the Cincinnati Reds, as MLB Network’s Jon Morosi relayed earlier today.That concept is hardly a revelation. The Reds perennially operate at the bargain level of free agency, even when they’re rarely connected to the top-tier guys a la Dallas Keuchel. In fact, Holland’s relatively low-end market and the Reds need for cheap, veteran rotation depth led MLB Trade Rumors to predict the two would match-up on a 2-year, $15 million deal back in their predictions post back on November 3rd. Holland was listed as their #39 free agent in this class, alongside such luminaries as Bud Norris and your buddy down the street’s dad who throws a wicked curveball in the batting cages. Seeing the rumor at this juncture, though http://www.athleticsfanproshop.com/authentic-khris-davis-jersey , brings about a pair of questions. After already adding Tanner Roark and Alex Wood, is Holland really a necessary upgrade for the middle-to-back of the rotation? Also, is his 2018 season really one to be trusted after his previous struggles?Some of Hollands peripherals do make you wonder whether he’d be as effective with GABP as his home park instead of pitching in San Francisco most of the time. While his 3.63 road ERA dovetailed well with his 3.51 home ERA in 2018, he did allow 14 road homers in his 89.1 IP away from AT&T (compared to just 5 at home in 82.0 IP), and his 39.8% overall groundball rate is far from elite. And while the .440 OPS he held lefties to in 2018 was tremendous, that featured an awfully low .207 BABIP - both of which are well off his career marks (.630 OPS vs. LHP with a .284 BABIP). There are enough questions to where his projections for the 2019 season look far from rosy. Steamer, for instance, pegs him for a 4.58 ERA/4.69 FIP in 89.0 IP. Marcels, while more optimistic, still sees him at a 4.44 ERA in 154.0 IP, but that obviously isn’t tailored to the idea of him pitching with Cincinnati as his home.Speaking of ‘Cincinnati as his home,’ Morosi did make note of Holland’s original home of Newark, Ohio. If my memory is correct, that’s just across the river from New York City, Ohio, meaning he’s got some Ohio roots - and we know just how much the Reds do like bringing back folks who grew up in Reds country.Signing Holland would neither break the budget nor prevent further additions, but he sure does look more the part of ‘redundant mid-rotation guy with little upside’ than ‘top of the rotation team stat leader haver-er,’ and I think it would still behoove the Reds to focus on adding more of the latter than the former at this juncture. Still, rumors will rumor, and we will continue to rumor-analyze until they all dry up.
Brugere som besøger dette emne nu:
Hop til Forum  
Du kan ikke skrive nye indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke svare på indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke slette dine indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke ændre dine indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke lave afstemninger i dette forum.
Du kan ikke stemme i dette forum.