logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Log ind or Registrering.

Notifikation

Icon
Error

pysong
#1 Skrevet : 27. juni 2023 07:08:01(UTC)
pysong

Rang: Advanced Member

Gruppe: Registered

Do Tech Toys Hurt Baby's Language Development?

As overwhelmed and sleep-deprived parents know, giving your baby a screen is an easy way to secure 10 minutes of quiet time. But a study in the journal JAMA Pediatrics found that infants who play with tech toys featuring flashing lights and computerized talking and music—instead of traditional wooden playthings—tend to have a decreased quality and quantity of language. Are these claims true? We spoke with two behavioral pediatricians to find out.Get more news about music instrument toy manufacturer,you can vist our website!

The Benefits of Play
For babies and toddlers, the benefits of play are widespread. “Play presents an opportunity to develop cognitive skills, social skills, abstract thinking, motor skills, and much more. It helps your child move forward,” says Heidi Feldman, M.D., Ph.D., the division chief of developmental-behavioral pediatrics at the Stanford University School of Medicine. And when it comes to your child’s development, she says certain toys are better than others—specifically traditional, simple toys that allow your child to exercise their creativity.

“Imaginative play helps babies with new ideas,” says Laura Phillips, PsyD, ABPdN, a clinical neuropsychologist at the Child Mind Institute. She mentions one of the best types of toys for brain development: wooden blocks. Not only do blocks improve fine motor skills, but they also encourage your child to problem-solve and use their imagination.
Tech Toys: Are They Good or Bad?
For the study in JAMA Pediatrics, researchers looked at parents and their babies (aged 10 and 16 months) playing at home. They noticed less verbal interaction between parents and children when an electronic toy was involved. Babies who played with books and more traditional items, like wooden blocks, tended to exhibit more back-and-forth "chatter" with their parents.

Dr. Phillips backs this up: "Emerging research suggests that language develops optimally in an interpersonal context," she says. "There are studies showing that children acquire more vocabulary terms when talking with parents than listening to ebooks or TV shows." Little kids learn best from human interaction, not with iPads, video games, and other flashy technology objects.

Analog toys require interaction
Tech toys don't have the same developmental benefits as traditional old-school playthings. "It takes a lot more effort and fine motor control to drag a crayon across a coloring page than drag a finger across a tablet," says Dr. Philips. Technology-based toys also limit creativity since they don't inspire kids to use their imaginations.

Giving your child wooden blocks or other analog toys requires them to interact using their senses and imagination. Any chance to stretch that imagination is also a chance to learn, and the more your child plays with their imagination, the better they get at it.

Watching a video won't teach them, for example, how to problem solve, accept failure, and understand cause-effect relationships in the same way building blocks can. Another downside of tech toys is that children might get so accustomed to the stimuli that they'll find simpler toys less appealing, which could lead to attention span issues down the road.

Balancing screens with analog activities
Parents don't need to prevent their children from using tech toys despite this information. Instead, they should vary the types of toys their children play with. "Tech toys aren't dangerous to an infant's cognitive development, but they might replace activities that are helpful," summarizes Dr. Phillips. "Children will be drawn to stimulating flashy toys, but there needs to be variety, and kids should be exposed to simpler toys also." So go ahead and let your child spend a few minutes on the screen—then follow up with some quality parent-child bonding time with books and wooden blocks.
Brugere som besøger dette emne nu:
Hop til Forum  
Du kan ikke skrive nye indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke svare på indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke slette dine indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke ændre dine indlæg i dette forum.
Du kan ikke lave afstemninger i dette forum.
Du kan ikke stemme i dette forum.